In talking with business owners, finding and keeping great employees is a challenge many of them have shared, no matter the industry or the size of business. With Oklahoma's low unemployment rates, it is an ongoing problem.
Because of this need, the Northwest Oklahoma City Chamber has put together a special workshop, "HIRE EDUCATION: Recruit, Train & Retain Great Employees" is set for Friday, May 4 from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM at Project 3810, located at 3810 N. Tulsa Avenue, about 1 mile west of I-44 & Hefner Parkway.
MORE INFORMATION or REGISTER HERE
The event is part of National Small Business Week, a time set aside to recognize small businesses for their achievements and assist with their efforts as an important part of our economy.
The event will feature three principal speakers including former Oklahoma Speaker of the House T.W. Shannon, now president of Bank2 and recognized as a national leader on culture and diversity. Mike Crandall, president of Sandler Training Oklahoma and author of Motivational Management will open the day speaking on “How to find and Hire Super Stars”.
Eight breakout sessions presented by legal and policy experts will discuss issues include:
- Hiring Veterans - As the director of one of only 13 federally designated Veterans Educational Transitions Success Centers in the country, SNU's Brint Montgomerywill share success stories and things employers should know. We'll also hear from a representative from the VA.
- Developing a Diverse Workplace - Having many different views represented as decisions are made strengthens all businesses. Rachel Bussett with Bussett Legal Group and Troy Stevenson with Freedom Oklahoma will discuss this issue.
- The Pros of Cons - Why Hiring Felons might Make Sense for your Business - Mike Cody with the OKC Metro Alliance will present on this topic.
- Government Compliance for Small Business - From ICE to timekeeping & wage policies and more, small businesses are no longer exempt from many laws and regulations they used to be. State and Federal Officials will present.
- Guns in the Workplace and Active Shooter situations. What you need to know about having gun-free or gun-friendly business policies and what your business needs to do to prevent / prepare for an Active Shooter Situation .
- Creating HR Policies for Small Business - Having smart policies in place can help keep you from making a costly mistake - Sam Fulkerson and Andre Caldwell, attorneys with Ogletree Deakins.
- Protecting your Assets - from fines to lawsuits, insure you won't lose your business because of a careless error, presented by Mike McPeak, McPeak and Associates.
- What do changing Marijuana Laws mean for Your Business? - presented by Blake Johnson, attorney with Crowe & Dunlevy.
There will also be a Business to Business Trade Show
featuring many resources helpful for small businesses. The trade show will be open throughout the day but from 3:30 - 5:00 pm job seekers are invited to join the event attendees for a talk on Workforce and Employment Trends
from Ted Streuli,
Editor of the Journal Record
. There will be a networking reception in the trade show area with free admission, but advance registration is required.